Sunday, January 16, 2011

Solutions to Sex-Trafficking


After studying sex-trafficking for over 2 months, I have started to analyze the different ways to combat the crime. The way I see it is there are three roads that change makers can go down.
The first is education and job-training, which targets the prevention of the crime. Young girls, especially in developing countries lack education or skills due to the favoring of boys.  Since the girls cannot support themselves or the family like the boys can, the family sells them to a trafficker in hopes of finding a job in the city. In America, this applies but more in the sense of providing girls with a source of self-worth and independence through education and job-training. It is more common for girls in the states to be pimped by their so called boyfriends, who use the girl’s desire for love and care to gain their trust. 


The second option in combating the crime is through the persecution of the pimps, traffickers, and clients. The US legal system, along with many others, fails to provide adequate legislation to do this however. The laws are changing but right now they only are able to arrest the girls, which I believe is completely wrong. It’s like arresting the victim of a murder. I believe the men (I say men, because most of the pimps and clients are men, however, I do acknowledge there are women in these positions as well but not as prevalent.) need to be charged and put in jail for life- none of these petty 2 year sentences for trafficking a child- that is absolutely appalling.  This option needs only works of the legislation supports it.  

The third option is more of charity instead of change- and that is providing support for former sex slaves. This is through shelters, social ventures and other organizations like this. The idea is to rehabilitate women, girls and even sometimes boys and men, through therapy, job training and support.  I believe there needs to be so many more of these ventures, however, they do not combat the problem, they only provide aftercare for the victims. 

I do believe that as I continue my reading, I will find more options for solving this problem and I will update this post. I am looking forward to reading  Sex Trafficking: Inside the Business of Modern Slavery by Siddharth Kara, which takes a look at the business and profit side of sex-trafficking, which fuels the industry.  The biggest problem is that sex-trafficking is so profitable, thus driving people to pursue the avenue. A possible solution may be increased the price of sex and the price of the women- but how do we do this.  I cannot wait to hear what Kara has to say about this.
I started this blog with the intention of looking for solutions in the third option, aftercare social ventures. However, I find that I have a huge drive in me to attempt to solve the problem through the second option, criminalizing the men.

No comments:

Post a Comment